Monday, November 6, 2006

Losing self-esteem over hair

Know what sucks? Losing your hair when you're a sixteen-year-old girl. I know this first hand and if you don't, it sucks HAAAAAARD, trust me on it. Not only are girls usually not the ones to lose hair but especially not at that age. To top it all off, we live in a time where your looks are everything. If you're a girl with long flowing blonde hair, they'll think one way about you. If you're a girl with half a head of hair, they'll think quite differently. i never realized that it isn't terribly uncommon for women to lose their hair, but at my age and my pace, it was pretty uncommon. i began to lose my hair in large amounts following the death of my grandfather. It began slowly but got out of hand very quickly. By the time I finally found help, I lost half my head of hair and was too afraid to even touch my head. I consider myself lucky because I caught my problem just in time. My excessive hair loss doesn't show very much because of how curly my hair is and because of how short I keep it.


It sucks because it ruins everything for you. Apart form losing hair, I lost my Thursday nights to hair treatments at the doctors, I lost my fruity-smelling shampoos, I lost the right to wash my hair in hot water, I lost half of my length of hair (since you need to have a full head of hair to pull off long hair). What hurts most is having lost confidence in myself. Towards the beginning of high school, I wasn't blessed with great looks, but I put effort into making a change. I lost weight, took my braces off, changed my style and got gorgeous glasses that suited my face. I finally felt happy with the way I looked until I realized that I was losing more hair in the shower than I had all of my life. That confidence that took years to gain took weeks to diminish. Writing this is actually making me emotional. It sucks when you actually cry over how disgusted you feel about yourself. It's a horrible feeling to not be able to like yourself for who you really are because in the end, it's what you're stuck with so you're better off making peace. I wish I could take advice as well as i give it.

No comments: